The sun, the sand, and the sea - nothing compares to a day at the beach. But when it comes to taking care of your favorite bikini, are you doing it right? One common question that swimsuit owners often ask is: Can bikinis go in the dryer?
While it might seem like a quick solution, the answer is no. Your beloved bikinis should stay clear of the dryer. Instead, handwashing and air drying your swimsuits can significantly increase their lifespan. Let's dive into why these methods are beneficial and how you can easily incorporate them into your swimwear care routine.
Why handwash your swimsuits?
Swimwear fabric is delicate, often made from stretchy synthetics that don't respond well to the harsh conditions of a washing machine. Handwashing your swimsuits allows for a gentle cleanse that preserves the elasticity and color of your bikinis.
How to handwash your bikinis:
- Fill a basin with lukewarm water and add a small amount of mild detergent.
- Submerge your swimsuit and gently agitate the water with your hands to distribute the soap.
- Let it soak for about 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly under cool running water until no soap is left.
- Gently squeeze out excess water. Remember, don't wring your swimsuits as it can damage the fabric.
Why air dry your swimsuits?
Air drying can help maintain the shape and elasticity of your bikini while preventing any potential heat damage from a dryer. It's a simple yet effective way to extend the life of your swimsuits.
How to air dry your bikinis:
- After rinsing, lay a clean towel flat, place your swimsuit on top, and roll it up to absorb excess water.
- Unroll the towel and lay the swimsuit flat on a drying rack or another clean, dry towel.
- Let it air dry in a location with good air circulation, away from direct sunlight to prevent color fading.
By embracing these methods, you're not only preserving your bikinis but also adopting sustainable practices that consume less energy compared to machine washing and drying.
In conclusion, taking care of your swimwear doesn't have to be a chore. With these simple steps, you can ensure your favorite bikinis stay vibrant and fitting perfectly all summer long.